The Rigol DS1054Z: A Review
The Rigol DS1054Z: A Review
The Rigol DS1054Z is a popular oscilloscope that is great for beginners. It has four channels, a bandwidth of 100 MHz, and several built-in mathematical functions. It also has a 7” high-resolution screen that makes it easy to see what is happening on the screen. It is available for under $400.
Oscilloscopes are used to analyze electrical signals. Different people need different features in oscilloscopes, so their prices vary. The most crucial factor that affects the price is the oscilloscope’s bandwidth.
Oscilloscopes are expensive devices professionals use in product development and research in electronic labs. They usually cost tens of thousands of dollars and must be bought from authorized dealerships.
For example, you probably don’t need an oscilloscope with 1 GHz bandwidth. You may only need a 2 – 4 channel oscilloscope with a bandwidth of 100 MHz, perfect for everyday users, students, and hobbyists.
You don’t want to spend too much money on an oscilloscope. If you do, this Rigol oscilloscope is an excellent affordable option and meets all your requirements.
Rigol DS1054Z Display
This device has a beautiful and easy-to-use 7″ screen with a resolution of 800×480. It quickly updates, so you can always see what mode you’re in and other important information. The screen is also intuitive, meaning it’s easy to understand.
This oscilloscope has a high-intensity graded display that lets you see waveforms in great detail. You can catch up to 30,000 waveforms per second in either regular, peak, or high-resolution mode.
You may adjust the screen’s brightness and contrast to make it easier to see in various lighting conditions. This is helpful if it is very sunny or dark inside.
The Rigol DS1054Z features four channels, ideal for those who know how to make the most of their o-scopes. For example, you can use the different ranges on the probes if you adjust the scope manually.
The Rigol DS1054Z has a 50 MHz bandwidth, one gig sample per second for a single channel. If you use two channels, the bandwidth is cut in half. If you use four channels, the bandwidth is reduced to 250 mega samples per second.
Even though the Rigol DS 1054Z has a limited bandwidth, it can increase this by hacking the device. Several articles and short videos will show you how to do this.
Hacking and Upgrading a Rigol DS1054Z Digital Oscilloscope
The DS1054Z scope has a memory depth range of 12-24Mpoints. This should suffice for most applications, but performance drops if all four channels are turned on.
Do you need all four channels turned on? If so, you might need to invest in a higher-end model.
Operation and Performance
This scope is small and easy to carry. It is built to last. The buttons work well and are sensitive.
The screen has big green help buttons. These buttons explain what each function can be used for.
The device has several built-in mathematical operators. Some of your data analysis and collecting may be delegated to your computer. For example, you can use the FFT function to outsource data analysis to your PC’s CPU via a USB connection to your o-scope.
This tool can detect triggers, measure different signal aspects, and store waveforms for further analysis. It has both serial and trigger decoding capabilities and a USB host port.
There is a USB port on the front of the printer so you can connect it to a laptop. Although you may need to install some software, various third-party options are considered.
Maintenance & Durability
If you buy an oscilloscope from Amazon, you are protected by their return policy. You are also covered by the warranty, which will provide you with replacement parts or repairs if needed.
Although this product has some flaws, there are a few things to consider if you want to be picky.
- The fan/ventilation system can be somewhat loud, particularly in tranquil environments.
- The UI is easy to use and easy to read. However, some menu options are confusing.
- The user interface has a slight latency.
Specifications at a Glance
- 7″ screen with 800 x 480-pixel resolution.
- Depending on the model, the bandwidth is 50 MHz or 100 MHz. Hackable to speeds of 100 and 200 MHz.
- Four channels
- Memory Depth: 12 Mpts with a 24 Mpts upgrade option
- 1G Sa/sec sampling rate
- FFT and built-in mathematical operators can collect up to 30L waveforms per second.
- Storage, triggers, and more!
- The relevant mathematical operators and Horizontal and Vertical measurement functions are neatly organized on the screen’s sides.
Rigol DS1054Z-Kit1 Digital Oscilloscopes
Rigol DS1054Z-Kit1 – Digital Oscilloscopes – Bandwidth: 50 Mhz, Channels: 4, Sampling Rate: 1 GS/S
- 50 MHz Analog Bandwidth
- Total of 4 Analog Channels
- Maximum Waveform Capture Rate of up to 30,000 wfms/s
- Includes 4 RP2200 150 MHz Passive HighZ Probes
- KIT includes: Coax Adapter, BNC(f) Adapter, BNC (m) Cable Assembly, BNC 50ohm Feed-Thru & BNC MiniP Clips
Best Selling Oscilloscope
Since its debut in September 2014, the DS1054Z has quickly become one of the most popular oscilloscopes in the world. Find out why this is the case. Examine the customer feedback! Please listen to what our current users have to say about this product. The DS1054Z is a favorite among businesses, educational institutions, students, and home enthusiasts. This product comes with a full refund guarantee if you are unsatisfied during the first thirty days of ownership.
What is included in the kit?
This Kit1 version of the unit now includes all of our TOP-SELLING accessories for this unit, allowing you to get the most out of this device as soon as you open the box. Our clients have asked us to put all of these items into one convenient package, and here it is! It is the most superior option available for this scope. The following items are included in the Kit: Coax Adapter, BNC(f) Adapter, BNC(m) Cable Assembly, BNC 50ohm Feed-Thru, and BNC MiniP Clips are all included in one package.
Rigol’s innovative UltraVision technology offers a standard memory depth of 12 Mpts, which may be expanded to a maximum of 24 Mpts if required (with the purchase of MEM-DS1000Z). In addition, the DS1054z enables the user to easily zero in on a specific section of a recorded waveform for analysis.
It is possible to view all of the channels on the DS1054z’s single screen thanks to its wide display, which measures 7 inches and has an 800 by 480 pixels resolution. This results in improved usability as well as increased analytical efficacy.
Ultra-fast Sampling Rate
The DS1000z series from Rigol has been upgraded to capture up to 30,000 waveforms per second. This, in conjunction with the oscilloscope’s memory capacity of 12 Mpts and its sampling rate of 1 GS/s, makes it an excellent tool for virtually any application.
Optional Waveform Recording
With the easy purchase of the DS1000Z-REC software option, Rigol has enabled all customers to access waveform recording as an available option. Users are given the ability to review and analyze data from the past.
Multi-Level Intensity Graded Display
Thanks to this feature, users will have the option to zoom in and visually observe changes in the frequency of events.
Advanced Triggering Options
Rigol has included the option to acquire an advance triggering feature as part of the DS1000Z product line, which will increase the line’s adaptability. This contains a variety of choices for triggering, including RS232/URAT, I2C, SPI, Runt, Windows, Nth Edge, Delay, and Time Out. You can get this choice by placing an order for the product with the number AT-DS1000Z.
Serial Bus Analysis Options
Users can inspect, decode, and view RS232/URAT, I2C, and SPI after investing in the SA-DS1000Z Serial Bus Analysis Option.
Advanced Signal Calculations
Rigol has developed and implemented a sophisticated set of formulas to simplify difficult signal calculations.
Mask Test Function
This test function allows users to test a signal on a pass or fail basis, making troubleshooting issues in various applications much simpler.
Automatic Measurement Parameters
Oscilloscopes from the DS1000Z series can automatically measure and record data within 5 predetermined parameters. In addition, a statistical analysis of each set parameter will be generated.
- Model: DS1054Z
- Analog Bandwidth: 50 MHz, 70 MHz, 100MHz
- Channels: 4
- Max. Sample rate: 1GSa/s (Single-channel), 500MSa/s(Dual-channel), 250MSa/s(Fulll-channel)
- Max. Memory Depth:12Mpts(std.), 24Mpts(option)
- Peak Waveform Maximum capture rate: 30,000 wfms/s
- Time-domain waveform Functions of Record, Replay, and Analysis Up to sixty thousand frames (Optional) Probes: RP2200 150MHz BW Four sets of passive probe
- Sample Mode: Real-time Sample
- Real-time Sample Rate: 1 GSa/s (single-channel), 500 MSa/s (dual-channel), 250 MSa/s (four-channel)
- Peak Detect: 4 ns
- Averaging: When both channels complete N samples simultaneously, N might be 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, or 1024.
- High Definition: Maximum resolution is 12 bits.
- Memory Depth:Single-channel: Auto, 12k pts, 120k pts, 1.2M pts, 12M pts and 24M pts (option) are available, Dual-channel: Auto, 6k pts, 60k pts, 600k pts, 6M pts and 12M pts (option) are available, Four-channel: Auto, 3k pts, 30k pts, 300k pts, 3M pts and 6M pts (option) are available
- Number of Channels: four-channel
- Input Coupling: DC, AC, or GND
- Input Impedance: (1 MΩ±2%) || (13 pF±3 pF)
- Probe Attenuation Coefficient: 0.01X-1000X, 1-2-5 step
- Maximum Input Voltage (1MΩ): Analog channel maximum input voltage, CAT I 300 Vrms, CAT II 100 Vrms, transient overvoltage 1000 Vpk, using RP2200 10:1 probe: CAT II 300 Vrms Volts
- From 5 ns/div to 50 s/div, the Time Base Scale.
- 25 ppm Time Base Accuracy 
- Annual Time Base Drift: 5 ppm
- Delay Range: Post-trigger (positive delay): 1 s to 100,000 s, Pre-trigger (negative delay): 1 screen width
- Modes of Time Base: Y-T, X-Y, Roll 1 journey between X and Y is delayed
- Waveform Rate of Capture : 30.000 wfms/s (dots display)
- Bandwidth (-3dB): DS1104Z: DC to 100 MHz, DS1074Z: DC to 70 MHz
- Single Bandwidth: DS1104Z: DC to 100 MHz, DS1074Z: DC to 70 MHz
- Vertical Resolution: 8 bit
- From 1 mV/div to 10 V/div on the vertical scale
- Limits of the Offset: 1 mV/div to 499 mV/div: 2 V; 500 mV/div to 10 V/div: 100 V;
- Bandwidth Limit: 120 MHz
- 5 Hz Low Frequency Response (AC Coupling, -3 dB) (on BNC)
- Rise Time : DS1104Z: 3.5 ns, DS1074Z: 5 ns
- DC Gain Accuracy : <10 mV: ±4 percent full scale, ≥10 mV: ±3 percent full scale
- DC Accuracy of Offset0.1 div 2 mV 1% Offset Channel to Channel Isolation >40 dB DC to maximum bandwidth
- Range of Trigger Level: 5 div from the screen’s center
- 16 nanoseconds to 10 seconds range for the trigger’s Automatic, Normal, and Single Holdoff modes.
- High Fidelity Refusal: 275 kHz
- Low Resonance Refusal: 275 kHz
- 1.0div (below 5mV or when noise rejection is enabled), 0.3div (above 5mV and noise rejection is disabled)
- Edge Type: Rising, Falling
- Positive Pulse Width (more than, less than, or within a predetermined interval), Negative Pulse Width (greater than, lower than, within specified interval)
- Range of Pulse Width: 8 ms to 10 s
- Pulse Condition:None, > (more than), (less than), > (less than) (within the specified interval)
- Polarity: Positive and Negative
- Pulse Width Range: 8 ns to 4 s
- Windows Type: Rising, Falling, Rising&Falling
- Trigger Position: Enter, Exit, Time
- Windows Time: 8 ms to 10 s
- Slope Condition: Positive Slope (more than, less than, during a given time frame), Negative Slope (greater than, lower than, within specified interval)
- Time Setting: 8 ns to 10 s
- Signal Standard: Support normal NTSC, PAL, and SECAM broadcasting standards, Support 480P, 576P HDTV standards
- Pattern Setting: Falling Edge, H, L, X, Rising Edge
Oscilloscopes / Digital Oscilloscopes Template
- Bandwidth: 50 MHz
- Channels: 4
- Sampling Rate: 1 GS/S
- Memory: 12 MP [megapoints] (12288 kB)
- Rise Time: 7 ns
- Screen Size: 7 IN
- Bits: 8
Test Equipment General Attributes
- Unique Features The most popular oscilloscope of 2015 4 Channels, 50 MHz Bandwidth UltraVision. Enhanced 12 Mpts can be upgraded to 24 Mpts using a software key (not a typo). This scope has 12 MB of standard memory! As much as 30,000 wfms/s Waveform capture rate HUGE 7″ screen WVGA (800X480) TFT USB HOST, USB DEVICE, LAN, Auxiliary (TrigOut/PassFail) Incredible show with intensity grading on multiple levels Actual waveform Record, Replay capability (Opt.) Various Mathematical Operations FFT function benchmark Numerous Trigger Functions Serial Bus Triggering and Decoding capabilities are optional (RS232, I2C, SPI). These are software product keys Standard Mask test capability Automatic Measurements Using Statistical Methods This scope is incredible for the price. Deep memory, gorgeous display, four channels, free software, USB host interface, standard USB interface on the rear, LAN/Ethernet standard, Aux (TrigOut /PassFail).
- Warranty: 3 YEARS
- Safety Approval: CE, CSA
- Interfaces: I/OLAN / Ethernet, LXI, USB Host, USB
- Product Weight: 3 KILOS (6.61 LBS)
- Shipping Weight: 4.2 KILOS (9.26 LBS)
- Data Logging: Yes
- HTS/Schedule B Number: 9030201500
- ECCN Number: 3A992
- Calibration Included: Factory Calibration
- Power Supply Voltage: 120V/220V Universal
- Country of Origin: China
Frequently Asked Questions about Rigol DS1054Z
Some newer players in the market compete with Rigol. Some of them have better specs, but there are also a lot of bugs and other issues with them. I would consider the competition, but I feel that Rigol has established itself as a reliable brand.
Rigol is a company that makes many different test equipment types. This includes multimeters, oscilloscopes, spectrum analyzers, waveform generators, and RF signal generators.
An oscilloscope is used to test and display voltage signals as waveforms. This is done by plotting the movement on a graph, which shows how the signal changes over time. The voltage measurement is represented by the vertical (Y) axis, while the horizontal (X) axis represents time.
It handles, calculates, and administers the vast volume of data created by the quick A-to-D data conversion without burdening the embedded CPU. An integrated sampling controller stores the data.
SIGLENT is a global leader in designing and manufacturing electronic test and measurement instruments. These instruments provide high accuracy data, dependable quality, and an intelligent user interface. SIGLENT’s products are priced to deliver value for many years.
Siglent is headquartered in Shenzhen, China. It has two international branch offices in Ohio, the United States, and Augsburg, Germany. In 2018, it was nominated for EE times and EE Magazine awards.
It is critical to automatically measure numerous signal properties such as frequency, peak-to-peak voltage, duty cycle, and rising time. The information needs to be decoded and displayed on the screen for signals that encode information.
The digital oscilloscope is the most popular today. Analog oscilloscopes are still produced in modest numbers. They are still mostly utilized for educational purposes and low-cost DIY kits. Walter LeCroy’s digital revolution in oscilloscope design, which began over 50 years ago, enabled tremendous new capabilities and features.
The waveform of electronic signals is displayed and analyzed using an oscilloscope. It graphs the voltage of a signal over time.